Our commitment to sustainable healthcare
Across the region we have a number of great examples of initiatives which have put tackling climate change at the top of the agenda.
- Sunderland and South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust became paper free at the point of care,
- North East Ambulance Service published their Green Plan,
- Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust joined the first wave of NHS organisations to install a special recycling machine to recycle disposable face masks and published their Sustainability Report for 2020/21
- Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust became completely carbon-zero in seven buildings at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust providing a detailed update on actions they have taken against their Green Plan.
- Newcastle-upon-Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust became the first healthcare organisation in the world to declare a climate emergency in July 2019 and featured in a new photography exhibition, “Care for the future: delivering the world’s first net zero health service,” at COP26